Organizational tips for 2020. If you made it your goal to organize your home this year, then it’s time to get started. However, after spending all of 2019 accumulating clutter and mess, then the idea of getting organized may seem like an impossible task. To help you stay motivated and keep your resolution, try out…
This healthy dinner recipe will help the whole family eat better. If you have resolved to eat healthier this year, then you may be on the hunt for delicious, easy, and nutritious recipes. If you want to whip up something that the whole family will love, then give this healthy dinner recipe a try. Baked…
Why you need the supplemental protection offered by umbrella insurance. With today’s society more litigious than ever, it can seem like anything, and everything leads to a lawsuit. Unfortunately, if you find yourself on the receiving end of a legal claim, then you may be on the hook for thousands of dollars to cover your…
Protecting jewelry with the right insurance. If you are looking at a new piece of jewelry, then you should review your homeowners insurance in Jackson Heights, New York, before you buy. This is because your policy might not offer enough coverage to protect the value of this new piece. To ensure that you have adequate…
Car accidents and your driving record—here’s what you need to know. If you’ve been in a car accident, then your car insurance rates have probably gone up as a result. Many drivers are worried about this increase and want to know how long an accident will continue to affect their auto insurance in Astoria, New…
How to make your holiday party less stressful. If you are hosting a holiday event, then you are probably feeling the pressure. However, there are things that you can do to alleviate some of the stress you are feeling. Try out these smart tips to make your holiday party less stressful. Spread the Cleaning Over…
Try out these suggestions to care for your kids this winter. While many people associate winter with celebrating the holidays and carefree snowball fights, parents need to recognize the dangers that their children face this season. To protect your child from injury or illness, try out these suggestions to care for your kids this winter.…
What drivers need to know about bodily injury liability insurance. As a driver, you understand that it is your responsibility to secure auto insurance in Astoria, New York. One of the state-mandated coverages that you need in order to drive is bodily injury liability insurance. But what does this insurance cover, and how much do…
What are your different home insurance options? When it comes time to select homeowners insurance in Astoria, New York, many people are unaware that there are different coverage options. Many homeowners assume that there is just one universal policy option. However, this simply isn’t the case. Here is a brief overview of the eight different…
Prepare this vegetarian Thanksgiving dish.
When most people think about Thanksgiving, they imagine a roasted turkey, baked ham, and other meat-based dishes. Because there is such a focus on meat, many vegetarians feel overlooked on this holiday. If you are sick of just eating sides, then take matters into your own hands and prepare this vegetarian Thanksgiving dish.
Mushroom Pot Pie
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, divided
- 12 ounces mushrooms (about 4 cups), quartered
- 2 cups yellow onion (about 1 large), finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery (about 3 ribs), finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots (about 1 small/medium), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brandy (a dry white wine such as chardonnay can be substituted, see notes)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or mushroom stock, either homemade or low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon good quality white truffle oil
- leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 cup packed flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat, then add 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the mushrooms along with a pinch of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring periodically, to soften and release some of their natural liquid. Turn the heat up to medium and brown the mushrooms for several minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, set aside, and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Melt the remaining butter and add the onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes until soft, stirring periodically, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the brandy, stock, paprika, and cooked mushrooms.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken, stirring periodically, for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and remove from the heat. Add the truffle oil (if using), thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Divide the filling into four 8-ounce ramekins (approximately 4×2 inches) and place them on a baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry thin and cut 4 rounds approximately 1/2 – 1 inch larger than the width of the ramekins. Brush egg wash on the rim of each ramekin and 1/2 inch down the sides. Top with the puff pastry, folding the excess over and gently pressing it against the ramekins (a fork can also be lightly pressed against the puff to help seal it to the dish). Brush the top of the dough with egg wash and use a small knife to poke 3 small holes in the top of each pot pie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Allow to cool briefly before serving.
This mushroom pot pie makes the perfect vegetarian Thanksgiving dish. Are you looking for assistance with your insurance this Thanksgiving? If so, then contact the experts at 01 Insurance in Astoria, New York. Our dedicated team is eager to get you the coverage that you need today.