Driving on the road can be unpredictable, and sometimes, accidents can occur even when you’re being cautious. One such unexpected situation is hitting a deer. Not only can it cause damage to your vehicle, but it can also be a dangerous encounter. As a driver, it’s essential to know if your insurance covers hitting a deer and what to do if it happens. In this blog, we will cover everything you need to know about insurance coverage for hitting a deer.
Is Hitting a Deer Covered by Comprehensive or Collision Coverage?
If you hit a deer while driving, your insurance coverage will depend on the type of coverage you have. Comprehensive coverage will cover damages caused by animals, including hitting a deer. However, collision coverage will cover damages that result from colliding with an object, such as another car or a tree. Therefore, if you have comprehensive coverage, you’re more likely to have protection from hitting a deer than with collision coverage.
What to Do If You Hit a Deer?
- Stop your vehicle and move it to a safe location away from the road.
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries, and call for medical assistance if needed.
- Contact the police to report the accident and any injuries to the deer.
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the deer (if possible) for your insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance company and inform them of the accident.
How to Avoid Hitting a Deer?
Hitting a deer can be a scary and costly experience, so it’s crucial to take preventative measures to avoid it. Here are some tips to reduce the risk of hitting a deer:
Pay attention to deer crossing signs.
- Drive cautiously and slow down in areas with a high deer population.
- Use high-beam headlights in rural areas to increase visibility.
- If you see a deer on the road, slow down and honk your horn to scare it away.
Hitting a deer is not only a stressful situation, but it can also result in costly damages to your vehicle. It’s important to know if your insurance covers hitting a deer and what steps to take if it happens. Remember, staying calm and following the proper procedures will make the process smoother. Additionally, taking precautions and being aware of the risks can help avoid such accidents in the future.
Cover Your Vehicle and Yourself When You Hit a Deer with 01 Insurance
At 01 Insurance, we understand the importance of protecting yourself and your vehicle from unexpected events. We offer a range of auto insurance coverage options to fit your needs and budget. Contact us today to get a free quote and see how we can help protect you on the road.
Common Questions About Hitting a Deer
You may have several questions popping up in your mind when you hit a deer. We have tried to answer some of them here:
Will my insurance rates go up if I hit a deer?
Whether your rates go up or not will depend on your insurance company and the details of the accident. If you have comprehensive coverage, your rates are less likely to go up as it’s considered a non-at-fault accident.