How to make your holiday party less stressful. If you are hosting a holiday event, then you are probably feeling the pressure. However, there are things that you can do to alleviate some of the stress you are feeling. Try out these smart tips to make your holiday party less stressful. Spread the Cleaning Over…
Try out these suggestions to care for your kids this winter. While many people associate winter with celebrating the holidays and carefree snowball fights, parents need to recognize the dangers that their children face this season. To protect your child from injury or illness, try out these suggestions to care for your kids this winter.…
Prepare this vegetarian Thanksgiving dish.
When most people think about Thanksgiving, they imagine a roasted turkey, baked ham, and other meat-based dishes. Because there is such a focus on meat, many vegetarians feel overlooked on this holiday. If you are sick of just eating sides, then take matters into your own hands and prepare this vegetarian Thanksgiving dish.
Mushroom Pot Pie
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, divided
- 12 ounces mushrooms (about 4 cups), quartered
- 2 cups yellow onion (about 1 large), finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery (about 3 ribs), finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots (about 1 small/medium), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brandy (a dry white wine such as chardonnay can be substituted, see notes)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or mushroom stock, either homemade or low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon good quality white truffle oil
- leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 cup packed flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat, then add 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the mushrooms along with a pinch of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring periodically, to soften and release some of their natural liquid. Turn the heat up to medium and brown the mushrooms for several minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, set aside, and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Melt the remaining butter and add the onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes until soft, stirring periodically, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the brandy, stock, paprika, and cooked mushrooms.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken, stirring periodically, for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and remove from the heat. Add the truffle oil (if using), thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Divide the filling into four 8-ounce ramekins (approximately 4×2 inches) and place them on a baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry thin and cut 4 rounds approximately 1/2 – 1 inch larger than the width of the ramekins. Brush egg wash on the rim of each ramekin and 1/2 inch down the sides. Top with the puff pastry, folding the excess over and gently pressing it against the ramekins (a fork can also be lightly pressed against the puff to help seal it to the dish). Brush the top of the dough with egg wash and use a small knife to poke 3 small holes in the top of each pot pie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Allow to cool briefly before serving.
This mushroom pot pie makes the perfect vegetarian Thanksgiving dish. Are you looking for assistance with your insurance this Thanksgiving? If so, then contact the experts at 01 Insurance in Astoria, New York. Our dedicated team is eager to get you the coverage that you need today.
How you can fight climate change in your everyday life. Based on all the scientific evidence and new reports coming in, it’s easy to see that our actions are ruining the environment. Climate change is not an issue that we can choose to ignore anymore. Unfortunately, many people refuse to take action because they feel…
Here’s why permanent life insurance may be right for you and your loved ones. When it comes time to select a life insurance policy, many people go for term life because it is the cheaper, more straightforward coverage option. However, there are some distinct benefits to securing a permanent life insurance policy. Here’s why permanent…
Research-backed ways to lower stress. While stress is an unavoidable part of life, allowing stress to get the best of you can lead to serious issues with your mental, emotional, and physical health. Are you looking for ways to better manage your stress? If so, then try out these research-backed ways to lower stress. Go…
Try out this fun take on pizza! October is National Pizza Month! Want a delicious way to celebrate? Then try whipping up a fun take on pizza. These pizza corn dogs are a tasty mashup of two delicious treats! Pizza Corn Dogs Serves: 6 Ingredients: 6 mozzarella sticks 6 slices large salami or pepperoni 1…
Stop the spread of germs by cleaning your devices this cold and flu season. The start of fall marks the beginning of cold and flu season. While most of us take preventative measures like washing our hands, eating well, and getting enough sleep, many of us don’t think about cleaning our mobile and other devices. …
What to consider when selecting trees for your yard. Planting trees on your property is a great way to improve the aesthetic appeal and value of your home. However, choosing which trees to plant requires a considerable amount of thought and deliberation. Here are some of the things to consider when selecting trees for your…
Top health benefits of yoga. September is National Yoga Month and a major goal of this month is spreading awareness of the health benefits associated with practicing yoga. Curious to learn how yoga can improve your physical and mental health? Then here are the top health benefits of yoga. Better Flexibility One of the most…