Try out this fun take on pizza!
October is National Pizza Month! Want a delicious way to celebrate? Then try whipping up a fun take on pizza. These pizza corn dogs are a tasty mashup of two delicious treats!
Pizza Corn Dogs
- 6 mozzarella sticks
- 6 slices large salami or pepperoni
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- vegetable oil
- marinara sauce, for serving
- freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
- crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
- Skewer mozzarella sticks with long wooden skewers. Wrap one slice pepperoni around each mozzarella stick. Arrange skewers seam side down on a small tray lined with parchment and freeze until solid, at least 2 hours.
- Place flour in a medium shallow bowl and coat frozen mozzarella sticks in flour, tapping off excess. Whisk cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, dried oregano, and garlic powder into the remaining flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into a tall glass and let sit.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add enough oil to come halfway up the sides and heat to 350°F. Place panko into a shallow bowl. Dip mozzarella sticks into batter until evenly coated, then roll in and cover with panko.
- Fry in two batches, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes, turning as necessary. Use tongs to remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining mozzarella sticks and batter.
- Serve with marinara sauce, Parmesan, and red pepper flakes.
This fun take on pizza is sure to delight everyone this National Pizza Month! Are you looking for assistance with your insurance this October? If so, then contact the experts at 01 Insurance in Astoria, New York. We are ready to get you the coverage that you need today.