Learn what is involved in a workers comp claims investigation.
Unfortunately, a workplace accident or injury can occur at any time. While having the right business insurance in Astoria, New York can give you some peace of mind, you also need to be aware of what follows after an employee is seriously injured. Here are the essential elements of a workers compensation claims investigation.
Interviewing the Injured Employee
The first step in the investigation will be an interview with the injured worker. Because they were directly involved in the accident, your claims investigator will want to get their view on everything that happened. Some of the common questions the investigator might ask include:
- How did the accident occur?
- What activities were you doing prior to the incident?
- How did you report your injury?
- What is the extend of your injuries?
- Did you receive medical treatment immediately after the accident?
Talk to Witnesses
The next thing your claims investigator will do is find out who witnessed the accident. However, witnesses don’t simply include the individuals who saw the incident. People who are familiar with the injured employee’s habits and conduct will also be considered witnesses. By speaking to the witnesses, the investigator will try to gather information such as:
- The interests and activities the injured employee has outside of work
- Where they have received medical treatment in the past
- Any other organizations they belong to
- The employee’s professional and educational background
- Whether they have been involved in other compensation claims or personal injury lawsuits in the past
Examine the Site of the Accident
Finally, your claims investigator will try to recreate the scene where the injury took place. They will often bring in a medical or vocational expert to verify that the supposed injury could have taken place under the given work conditions. Examining the site of the accident can provide the evidence to back up the employee’s claim or to disprove it.
These are the main elements of a workers comp claims investigation broken down into a little more detail. As it’s not always possible to protect against the risk of a workplace accident, it’s important that you have the proper business insurance coverage to fit your needs. To find the right policies for you, contact the experts at 01 Insurance in Astoria, New York. Our dedicated professionals are ready to get you covered today.